Monday, February 03, 2014

To go or not to go to the Caribbean

Our big dilemma these days is whether or not we venture further south of the Bahamas, or to just spend our time exploring the Bahamas. Our original plan was to go as far south as we can, hoping to at least hit the Virgin Islands. Now as we stand, we are reconsidering our options, as we are closing in on February we are rethinking whether or not to push forward or just take our sweet time going back up. 

We really want to go further, as John says, the Bahamas isn't technically in the Caribbean, so we can't say that we sailed in the Caribbean. That doesn't bother me so much, it just seems like a shame since we have come so far (only 2500 miles!), so what's another couple hundred miles right?

So, after discussing with a few other boats who are in the same situation as us, our tentative plan is to try to at least hit Turks and Caicos and the Dominican. We were hesitant at first for Turks and Caicos after hearing it was $400 to enter by boat, but as it turns out that is for 3 months, and for 1 week it is only $50 (though I'm not sure how they know exactly when you leave since you don't have to "check out"). And from Turks and Caicos, hit the Dominican, then see what date it is and decide then whether to keep going, or turn and head back up. 

If we really want to go further than that, I think that we will have to make this trip a two year thing, rather than one. While I definitely would not be unhappy about that, financially we would have to find some source of revenue, and perhaps stop somewhere and try to get a job for a while. 

So, as usual, everything is still very much up in the air, playing it by ear, no set schedule etc-which is basically the life of a cruiser.  

No comments:

Post a Comment