Thursday, September 05, 2013

Making Your V-Berth Cozy/Making Fitted Sheets




John felt that it was really important that we have fitted sheets for our v-berth since our regular shaped bed sheets keep coming off. I think he overestimated my sewing skills. But I decided to tackle the task at hand with full force. I measured the v-berth, length-wise 80.5"), width-wise (76" at the widest point and 17.5" at the narrowest point) and depth-wise (8"). These are the measurements for our v-berth mattress in case you have the same and want to make sheets or can adjust it to your measurements. I also got a king sized piece of memory foam and cut it to fit the v-berth mattress. I took the memory foam home, laid it on my floor and put the sheet on top of it. I took a king sized fitted sheet and cut out the elastic from one side only since one of the sides fit the widest point of our mattress so I didn't have to redo that side.  I went along the sheet and marked off 10.5" with a crayon from the end of the mattress outwards. With the memory foam our mattress is approximately 8" deep, plus I need approximately 2" to do the 3/4" casing for the elastic and then .5" for some wiggle room when I inevitably screw something up. I then cut along the line I made with the crayon. I sewed French corners on the two corner on the narrow side of the sheet. I had no idea how to make a French corner so I looked it up on YouTube (it's essentially sewing the corner on one side and then flipping it over again and sewing it on the other side to reinforce it and make it look nice). Several trial and errors later I sewed both of them. Then I began sewing the 3/4" casing to string my 1/2" elastic through. Basically is worked, just don't look at my stitches because they are all over the place. For the top sheet I took a king sized top sheet and did essentially the same thing except I measured out about 17.5" from the end of the mattress. I also made 2 French corners on the narrow side of the sheet and put elastic around the corners and about 25" up each side so that the end of the sheet will tuck under the mattress so it doesn't come up. I also recommend sewing a button on the narrow end of the sheets so that you know which side goes where easier. For the finishing touches I got a nice floral duvet cover (floral on one side and white with blue stripes on the other in case John finds it too girly sometimes) and brought my duvet and comfy pillows and made a pretty cozy bed if I do say so myself.

I would definitely recommend trying this first with a crappy pair of sheets you don't care about if you're new to this, also don't use a dinky little sewing machine like I did, makes it much more difficult. 





1 comment:

  1. I'm using a fairly dinky machine for this same project right now - and I agree! Much more difficult. And if anyone looks at my stitches, they have entirely too much time on their hands and will be assigned a boat chore. Have fun on the sail down!

    ReplyDelete